June 12th, 2013: Arastradero Nature Preserve, Palo Alto

          Last year, I visited this nature preserve for the first time with my Dad. I even wrote a blog post about it, but I unfortunately didn't go into tremendous detail, as I only simply listed the species I saw. So seeing how it's about the same time of year that I wrote the last blog post for this location, I thought I would give it another try!


          Arastradero Nature Preserve is a vast and open protected area situated in the Palo Alto foothills. This space is characterized by both fields and meadows, and lush oaky riparian habitat. I was eager to go birding there, so I left the house at around 6:15 AM, and made exceptional time because of the surprising lack of traffic on the 280 highway. Unfortunately, my enthusiasm was sobered by realizing that the preserve's parking lot only opens at 8:30 AM. Seeing how I had just made the long drive all the way down to Palo Alto, I wasn't ready to give up and head back home. So I u-turned and parked in the nearby residential area. It meant walking a little bit to the actual preserve, but that wasn't going to kill me! Finally, once I arrived at the preserve itself, I was beset by the chorus of myriad passerines. Without even lifting up my binoculars, I was able to add Lesser Goldfinch, Oak Titmouse, Spotted Towhee, Western Scrub-Jay & Bewick's Wren to my list. However, I do prefer seeing the birds rather than only hearing them, so I attempted to pish some out to no avail, and I kept my eyes peeled. As I walked down the trail  and went around a bush, I noticed a California Thrasher foraging on the ground. Aptly named, this species is a California specialty and is nearly an endemic species. Its range extends from northern California all the way down to northern Baja California in Mexico. Then, next to the thrasher, a California Quail popped out and also began foraging. This species isn't necessarily a California specialty but it is our state bird, so it holds a special place in any Californian birder's heart. Suddenly, two California Towhees surged out of the nearby shrubs and began bickering on the same path as the two previous birds. I then realized I was watching three birds all named after the greatest state ever! This was a really swell way to start my morning, and so I continued down the path, still thinking of this adventitious serendipity.
          Soon after, I reached another spot of the preserve with thicker shrubs and more oaks. This is also the location where I saw a Northern Pacific Rattlesnake last time I went birding at this preserve. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to rediscover this reptilian beauty. Next to birds, reptiles and more specifically snakes are my favorite animals. Everything about them fascinates me, which is why I was bummed when I left the preserve at the end of the morning without having seen a single snake.

A photo of the Northern Pacific Rattlesnake
I saw last time I was at the preserve
           However, at this same location I was able to hear a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, a target species for me this morning. Although, I wasn't able to see the bird, despite my numerous attempts of coaxing it out with my pishing. Knowing that I'd see more of them, I decided to leave it alone. 
          I continued walking and found myself once again on a trail in an open field. This field yielded a few Western Bluebirds, plenty of Lesser Goldfinches and myriad fluttering Violet-green Swallows that sometimes swooped down only a few feet ahead of us at waist level. These colorful swallows have to be my favorite species of North American swallow, what with their iridescent green backs, their amethyst-purple rumps, and sheer white underbellies that extend over the face and overtail coverts. I was even fortunate enough to come across a next box where an adult bird flew in to feed its nestlings. 
          As I admired these swallows, two Ash-throated Flycatchers flew onto a perch, making their prit-wheer call. These birds belong to the tyrant-flycatcher family which means they are characterized by their proclivity for sallying to and fro branches to catch their aerial prey, which is exactly what they were doing. They were amusing to watch, but a pain to photograph, so I wasn't able to take any clear shots of this species.

Ash-throated Flycatcher
(notice the light gray throat, yellow underbelly,
and rufous colored tail)
         Suddenly, these birds flew off in a hurry. I wondered why, and immediately got my response. Two American Kestrels were calling violently and chasing a Cooper's Hawk away. This territorial altercation caused quite a ruckus and made it difficult to listen to the other species. Finally, the raptors ceased their dispute and I was able to resume birding. I then reached the Arastradero pond where there was only a Pied-billed Grebe and an American Coot. However, there were many birds singing and calling from the surrounding environs. From Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Wilson's Warblers, House Wrens, to a singing Warbling Vireo, this place was hopping with activity. A Nuttall's Woodpecker made its typical high-pitched whinny and a Hutton's Vireo made its whEEr call. To add to that, many of the species were showing themselves which offered many photo-ops. One bird that was absolutely uncooperative was the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, but I was nonetheless able to capture an action shot.

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 
(notice the the bluish crown, black eyebrows,
and grayish underbelly)
       After the gnatcatcher, I heard a light bzzzzz coming from behind me. I turned around, and just as I thought, a beautiful male Lazuli Bunting flew onto a poison oak bush and began singing. Its azure head and back contrasted magnificently with its stark white underparts in the right light. This striking contrast is topped off with a rufescent necklace that ties this color-palette together. 

Male Lazuli Bunting
(notice the blue head and back, the white underparts,
and the rufous necklace)
         When I turned around, all while listening to the pleasant song of the bunting, I saw a modest little Violet-green Swallow perched. I say modest because this absolutely brilliant bird was just perched on a wire, minding its own business, and not being showy in the least. The late Rich Stallcup, an incredible and inspirational naturalist of Marin County, said that when one is lucky enough to see these guys perched, it's a "party for your eyes"! I couldn't find a greater definition for what I was experiencing in that moment. With all the colors perfectly blended together, it did indeed make for a "party for your eyes"!

Violet-green Swallow
(notice the white over the face, the green back,
and the purple rump)
       This basically concludes my morning at Arastradero Nature Preserve. As I left the preserve, a Green Heron that flew over the path and a singing California Thrasher teed up on a shrub made for a wonderful way to finish my morning at this calm, serene, but hot preserve. 

California Thrasher
(notice the decurved bill,
and the overall brownish body)

No comments:

Post a Comment