June 19th, 2013: Kern River Preserve

            Southern California is a long way from the San Francisco Bay Area, so when one has a sister attending a summer camp in Bakersfield, their brother is in for a long and lulling drive. But I'm a birder, so I view things optimistically and think of where I could go birding while down there. After having done research, I came across this wonderful park called Kern River Preserve, an Audubon-created tract of riparian woodland along the Kern River. This lush preserve is home to myriad species, but there are 3 species in particular that attract throngs of birders from all over. The first is the Yellow-billed Cuckoo, a once regularly found species in California that is now an extremely localized breeder in this state. The second is the extima subspecies of the Willow Flycatcher, a threatened subspecies found solely in the southwest of the United States. The third species is the vibrantly vermilion Summer Tanager, not a rare bird but a veritable jewel of the preserve. So after an hour drive from our hotel in Bakersfield, we finally arrived and began our excursion at Kern River Preserve. 
            As we drove up the small and bumpy road to reach the parking lot, we turned down the music and rolled down the window to hear if anything was singing. The air was swirling with a chorus of sonorous songs. Bullock's Orioles, Yellow Warblers, Black-headed Grosbeaks and House Finches all participated in this natural orchestra. Once we parked, I was eager to bird this renowned preserve and search for my three target birds. Blazoned feeders, that were hung from the trees, were adorned with Lesser Goldfinches and House Finches. As I walked around, I noticed that the weather wasn't as extreme as I had expected it. Coming from Northern California, where a nice day translates to 60º and a sky littered with gray clouds, I always had this image of Southern California having sunny skies and consisting in sweltering heat that had everybody sweating like hogs (yes, I believed that everybody in Socal spent everyday sweating like pigs). But this weather, which was a mild 85º with a slight breeze, really made this experience that much more enjoyable. 
              Anyways, we began walking down the Nature Trail, as it was called, staying vigilant and keeping my eyes out for flying tomatoes (the Summer Tanagers). Western Wood-Pewees called from the tops of the trees and House Wrens buzzed at everybody that crossed their path. We then came across a hummingbird feeder station that was jumping with activity. The enticing sound of their humming and buzzing forced me to step off the trail and sit down on a small bench to scrutinize each hummer. The majority were Anna's Hummingbirds, the most expected species here, but not the only one that can be found. After perusing each female, I noticed two different groups. There were the birds that were larger, had straighter bills and had a dirtier throat. These were female Anna's. The other group was characterized by their smaller size and sleeker figure, their slightly decurved bill and clean white throat. These were Black-chinned Hummingbirds, a species I have only seen once before in California, while birding in Merced County. To confirm my identification, a lovely male flew onto one of the feeders and began recuperating its energy.

Male Black-chinned Hummingbird
(notice the black gorget restricted to the throat,
and white feathers around neck)
               This was another one of my target species, so I was delighted to come across this bird. Then, a small female type hummingbird caught my eye. After having been to Camp Chiricahua in Arizona and having birded with exceptional birders like Michael O'Brien, Louise Zemaitis and Jennie Duberstein, I learned the different field marks needed to identify female hummingbirds of the southwest. This bird was overall squat and stout in size, not elongated or sleek at all. This was one of the field marks. The second field mark I noticed was the remarkable primary projection that passed the tail. Remembering what Michael had told me last year, I was able to deduce that this bird was a female Costa's Hummingbird, another target of mine. Not only was excited about seeing this bird, but I was  also excited I was able to identify it myself. Female hummingbirds are notoriously difficult to identify, and even top-knotch birders will have trouble with them. Fortunately, this bird was perched on a branch and didn't move very much, which offered a wonderful opportunity to study this species. Unfortunately, a male didn't bestow us with its presence, which is really what I wanted to see. But one can only have so much luck. 
               After spending a good fifteen minutes studying the feeders, we resumed our amble. The trail then brought us to an open space with sage and coyote brush (or at least what appeared to be those shrubs, I need to improve my knowledge on botany). Ash-throated Flycatchers called, Bullock's Orioles squabbled above us, and Nuttall's Woodpeckers whinnied when flying from one tree to another. One thing that was really surprising about this preserve was the abundance of woodpecker species. Whenever I go out birding, the usual amount woodpeckers I see is 4-5 individuals of only 2-3 different species. Here, I saw 4 different species with at least 20 birds in total, from Nuttall's Woodpeckers, to Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers, to a "red-shafted" Northern Flicker that I flushed. There certainly was no dearth of woodpeckers here. I just wished this had been the case with the Summer Tanager. It had been 45 minutes and I still had not seen one. Various birders on the Internet were saying how easy they were to see here, and if you wanted to see one in California, Kern river Preserve is the place to go. It was quite disappointing. But I'm a positive and optimistic person, so I didn't let the lack of tanagers ruin my morning. 
                Suddenly, a small yellow passerine flew from one tree to another. This bird caught my eye, probably because of the vibrant colors, and I put my binoculars up to find my first-of-year Yellow Warbler. This is a species that was once an abundant breeder in California, and notably in the Kern River Valley, but due to human development, destruction of habitat and pollution, their environment was soiled, which was ensued by a drop in their population. Fortunately, habitat restoration and the creation of protected areas, such as Kern River Preserve, aided in this species's comeback. So this little lemon-yellow warbler was proof that the restoration was efficient and did help improve their status. 

Male Yellow Warbler
(notice the yellow body,  the reddish streaks on its chest,
and its dark and round eyes)
               As we continued down the trail, we found ourselves on the edge of the forest, where the forest and the open space meet. So we were able to enjoy the woodland birds, all while keeping an eye out for species more commonly found in open areas. Then, I was hearing this familiar call coming from the open space, but I wasn't quite able to put my finger on it. Suddenly, this black bird flew up, flashing white when it opened its wings. This bird is one my all-time favorites that I've seen when I was in Arizona and when I visited Joshua Tree National Park: the elegant Phainopepla. I stepped off the trail a bit to see if I could get a better view, which is when I found 2 more Phainopeplas sitting on a shrub, a female and young bird. This was a very special find because I hadn't seen this species since last year in Arizona, and I hadn't seen the species in over two years in California. I was elated when I found these birds. 

Back shot of the young Phainopepla
(notice the grayish body, the noticeable crest,
and the white wing panels)
           The trail brought us back to the parking lot with all the feeders. We still had a little time on our hands, and there was remarkable bird activity popping, so we decided to hang there for a little while. Western Bluebirds, a dozen of them, foraged on the ground, picking up small insects they could find. Many of them were fledglings that were still learning which foods were consumable and which weren't, so there were a few looking at the ground in bewilderment. Then I noticed this rather long and slim brown bird on the ground foraging away from the group of bluebirds. This bird ended up being a Lark Sparrow, another target of mine. This is a species I don't get to see a whole lot, so it was a welcomed find that really brightened this already nice day of birding.

Lark Sparrow
(notice the harlequin markings on the face)
             It was now time for us to leave, and as I walked back to the car, I made the sad realization that I missed every single one of my target birds. I wasn't expecting to see the Yellow-billed Cuckoo, due to the scarcity and reclusiveness of the species. I thought that the Willow Flycatcher was possible, but I wouldn't have been surprised to have missed it. But the Summer Tanager is what shocked me the most. I thought that bird would've been a given! But like I said, I'm a positive person, and rather than focusing on what I missed, I took time to appreciate the birds I was lucky enough to see, from the Black-chinned and Costa's Hummingbirds, the family of Phainopeplas, the brilliant Yellow Warbler and the intricately-plumaged Lark Sparrow. As I was entering the car, a Black-headed Grosbeak flew onto a shrub nearby, making its eek call that sounds like somebody rubbing their new sneakers on a gym floor, and a male Lawrence's Goldfinch modestly flew into view. It was a nice way to end the morning. I was now in for a 5 hour drive all the way back to Pacifica, where I would trade the beautiful weather of Socal for the fog-ridden sky of Norcal.

1 comment:

  1. It sucks to miss your target birds. Similarly to your Yellow-billed, Black-billed Cuckoo is driving me crazy in CT right now... I've spent over 15 hrs looking for them in various places all over the state in the last month with no results.

    James Purcell

    ReplyDelete